DUBUQUE, Iowa — The Dubuque Fighting Saints made 20 selections during Phase II of the 2018 USHL Draft on Tuesday to complete the roster heading into the 2018–2019 season. The draft “war room” was led by general manager Kalle Larsson and assistant director of player personnel Colby Drost. Players in any birth year between 1998 and 2002 were available to be drafted in Phase II.
The Fighting Saints’ picks are as follows:
- Round 1: F James Sanchez (8th overall) — University of Michigan
- Round 2: G Matthew Thiessen (20th overall) — Steinbach Pistons
- Round 2: D Simon Kjellberg (24th overall) — Rögle BK J20
- Round 3: F Riese Gaber (40th overall) —Steinbach Pistons
- Round 5: D Jaden Shields (73rd overall) —Austin Bruins
- Round 6: F David Silye (91st overall) —Nanaimo Clippers
- Round 7: D Sam Martel (104th overall) —Topeka RoadRunners
- Round 7: D Kaelan Taylor (105th overall) —Corpus Christi IceRays
- Round 7: F Cooper Haar (108th overall) — Bismarck Bobcats
- Round 8: F Alex Jefferies (124th overall) — Islanders Hockey Club 16U
- Round 9: D Garrett Daly (140th overall) — Lakeville North HS
- Round 10: F Adrian Danchenko (156th overall) — Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Round 11: D Matthew Doyle (172nd overall) — Janesville Jets
- Round 12: D Joseph Foss (188th overall) — Elk River HS
- Round 13: F Markus Boguslavsky (204th overall) — Drumheller Dragons
- Round 14: F Jake Keller (220th overall) — St. Louis AAA Blues U15
- Round 15: F Ryan Beck (236th overall) — Oakland Jr. Grizzlies U16
- Round 16: F Will Cuylle (252nd overall) — Toronto Marlboros Minor Midget AAA
- Round 17: G Jason Grande (268th overall) — Amarillo Bulls
- Round 18: F Bram Scheerer (284th overall) — Minnesota Magicians
“We came in with a very specific plan coming into the draft today, and we got the players that we keyed in on,” Larsson said. “We are super excited about Sanchez and Thiessen, who were the number one forward and number one goaltender on our list, respectively.”
The 2018 Phase II draft class includes 11 forwards, seven defensemen, and two goaltenders. Every player drafted will be eligible to take part in the Fighting Saints’ Main Camp in June.
“We’re always excited when we can get better, and today, we did,” Larsson said.
This crop of Fighting Saints draft picks will look to continue the tradition of excellence in Dubuque and strive for a ninth consecutive Clark Cup playoff berth in the 2018–2019 season, which will officially get underway in October.