skip navigation

Flying Aces Prevail in Wild Overtime Affair

By Jordan Kuhns, 11/11/17, 10:45PM CST


Fighting Saints take three leads, but cannot hold

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. — Charlie Raith converted a three-on-one break in overtime, as the Central Illinois Flying Aces topped the Dubuque Fighting Saints 6-5 in a wild and crazy back-and-forth game at the Grossinger Motors Arena on Saturday night. The Fighting Saints picked up a standings point in the loss.

Adam Tisdale came close to notching his fourth goal of the game, but rang the crossbar at one end. The Flying Aces turned the puck back in transition and Wojciech Stachowiak set up the normally defensive defenseman for the game-winner, as he stuffed the puck past Jaxon Castor for the win.

Castor stonewalled Jakub Lacka to begin overtime, and Josh Maniscalco thought he had ended the game with a goal of his own just moments later, but the goal was waved off, as was Tisdale’s attempt later on, and the Aces came away with the victory.

Tisdale notched not only his first USHL goal, but his second and third in the overtime loss. It was the second hat trick scored by a Fighting Saints player this season. His third came at the 13:02 mark of the third period, sandwiched by goals from the Aces. Tisdale’s marker that put the Saints up 5-4 was answered by Stachowiak, who scored two goals in the Aces’ win.

The Saints battled back from a 2-0 deficit early in the game, as Central Illinois got an early goal from Davis Bunz, his first in the USHL, on a centering pass from Calen Kiefiuk. The two players exchanged spots on the scoresheet just three minutes later, as Kiefiuk scored on the power play. It was the Aces’ second power play in their last 38 tries.

Then, the Saints staged their first of many comebacks. Chayse Primeau got the Fighting Saints on the board, as a pair of cross-seam passes from Tisdale and captain Cole Guttman found Primeau on the back door, able to score to cut the lead in half.

Scott Corbett did the rest before Tisdale eventually took over for the Saints. A shot from Jacob Semik at the point rattled off of a defender and right to Corbett who lifted the puck through Aces goaltender Kris Carlson and into the goal.

Tisdale scored two of the next three goals, as Stachowiak answered for the Flying Aces in between. The Canadian forward ended the game with four points in the losing effort, and almost four goals.

A plus side to the Fighting Saints’ weekend was the power play, which scored twice more. The Aces scored on their only power play opportunity on the night as well, in a night where neither penalty killing unit could go home happy.

The Flying Aces outshot the Fighting Saints 30-25 for the game.

The Fighting Saints are back in action on Friday, November 17 at Young Arena to take on the Waterloo Black Hawks. Catch all of the action on Dubuque’s Super Hits 106.1 FM, or on HockeyTV. The Saints return home Saturday, November 18 to take on the Madison Capitols for Military Appreciation Night, sponsored by Kwik Stop, Dairy Queen and Fazoli’s. For tickets, go to