1. The Dubuque Fighting Saints and Central Illinois Flying Aces head into Saturday following hard-luck losses. The Fighting Saints, up 1-0 and 2-1 to the Chicago Steel, lost 3-2 last night. As for the Aces, they let a 2-0 lead slide in the third period, and in the shootout, the visiting Youngstown Phantoms got the win. Both teams will be searching for a better fate.
2. The Fighting Saints go from seeing the league's best power play to the league's worst. The Central Illinois Flying Aces are 0 for their last 37 on the power play, and come into the game with a paltry 4.4% success rate overall. It will be up to a Saints penalty kill, 14 of its last 15, to keep the Aces off the board.
3. Alex Steeves' #SteeverStreak lives on, but right behind him is Cole Guttman's latest piece of work—a four-game point streak that includes 3 goals and 2 assists. Steeves' point streak stands at six games, with 3 goals and 7 assists in that span. Against the Aces is where Steeves did his best work, as he scored 3 goals and 2 assists against them.
4. The Saints' defense will need to contend with one of the USHL's most accurate shooters. Slovakian forward Jakub Lacka ranks third in the league with 7 goals. More impressive than that, he possesses an insane 38.9% shooting percentage. Lacka scored against the Saints in these two teams' last meeting.
5. The Aces are a mess defensively in the third period. They possess a -10 goal differential in the final frame, which is far and away the worst mark in the league. The third period was the difference in the Aces' loss to Youngstown last night. Could it be for a second time?