1. This will be the Dubuque Fighting Saints and the Central Illinois Flying Aces' first time playing each other this season. The Flying Aces, previously the Bloomington Thunder, are playing their first season as the rebranded Flying Aces. The Flying Aces are 3-2- 0 on the season for six points which is good for fifth in the Eastern Conference. The Fighting Saints are 1-3-1 for three points on the season.
2. Central Illinois’s Maxim Andreev playing his first season with the Flying Aces, is making his mark on this young season. Andreev is tied with Jack Dugan of the Chicago Steel as the leading scorer in the USHL with eight points. He also rides a five game point streak heading into tonight’s game. Flying Aces rookie Drew Elser is also making his mark on the season with 5 points which is good for fourth among rookies.
3. The Fighting Saints after only scoring six total goals in their first five game added a reinforcement to the team this week when they added forward Dalton Hunter (Greensburg, PA/ Mercyhurst University) to the roster this week. Hunter previously played for the Johnstown Tomahawks of the NAHL, where he was a 30 goal scorer.
4. Fighting Saints defenseman Jordan Wishman committed to Michigan State University this week where he will continue his hockey career after he is done playing for the Fighting Saints. Since coming to the Fighting Saints, Wishman had posted an even plus/minus and an assist. Wishman is also the first Iowan player to play full time for the team since Brooks Bertsch did in the 2010-11 season.
5. Scoring the first goal of the game may be important for the Saints tonight as they won their only game of the season when Captain Cole Guttman scored the first goal against the Waterloo Black Hawks in the third period. Central Illinois lost their only game of the year when they scored the first goal.