1. Head coach Oliver David named Josh Maniscalco, Brendan Bushy and Chayse Primeau as alternate captains for the 2017–2018 season alongside captain Cole Guttman. Maniscalco is a first-year Saint, as the first-round selection in Phase II of the 2017 USHL Draft. Bushy is in his second season with Dubuque, and Primeau is in his second USHL season after being acquired from the Lincoln Stars. Tonight is the first game of the season that the three players will don the A on their sweaters.
2. The Fighting Saints and Waterloo Black Hawks kick off the Dupaco Cowbell Cup rivalry tonight. This is the first of seven games between these two teams. During the 2016–2017 season, the Black Hawks claimed the cup, with the Saints finishing second.
3. Oliver David is looking for win number one as head coach of the Fighting Saints after an 0-1-1 start to the season with a regulation loss to Chicago, and an overtime loss to Green Bay. However, the Saints allowed 10 fewer shots on goal and four fewer goals from night one to night two, showing tremendous improvement.
4. The Black Hawks picked up their first win of the season with a 4-2 triumph over the Sioux Falls Stampede. Matej Tomek picked up his first win in the USHL at age 20. Tomek is a Philadelphia Flyers prospect that was drafted in the third round of the 2015 NHL Draft.
5. Last season, both the Saints and the Black Hawks finished second in their respective conferences, and then won their first playoff series before falling in the conference finals. The teams faced each other once this preseason during the USHL Fall Classic, where the Hawks beat the Saints 6-2.